Sometimes being an adult is hard and all I want to do is watch movies, snuggle up with a blanket, and eat my favorite “kid foods”. For some reason fall and winter bring back memories of childhood when I would do just that.
While I am someone who really enjoys to cook and try new creative recipes, at the end of a long and hard day sometimes I just want simple, easy, and comforting. And that my friends, is grilled cheese and tomato soup…
Growing up I loved the standard American cheese on sandwich bread with Campbell’s tomato soup. However now that I am “grown up” and have a slightly more refined pallet, I have stepped up my grilled cheese game. This three-cheese panini is a favorite in our house and while we don’t make it often, it is always a treat!
- Sourdough Bread (we love the heartier taste and crunch of sourdough for this sandwich, but any bread will do!)
- Olive oil
- Sliced Gouda, Cheddar, & Provolone (any 3 cheeses will work, but this is the combo we really love!)
- Sliced tomato
- Pesto aioli (to make your own just combine 1 part mayo with 1 part pesto)
- Pre-heat the panini press (or skillet on stove to)
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with oil (or you can lightly butter)
- Then on the non-oiled side of bread you spread on the pesto aioli or for another twist you can use a combination or dijon mustard and mayo for extra flavor.
- Next layer the cheese and tomato slice.
- Top with a second piece of bread and place on the panini press or skillet until cheese is melted and bread is a light, golden brown.
*If you really want to be fun, adding bacon is always a welcomed option 🙂
We love having this with this homemade tomato soup and it is a perfect combination!
So when you are reminiscing of your childhood and just want to be a kid for a night this is what you need. And its even better is followed by curling up on the couch and watching a movie!
3 thoughts on “Recipe: Grown-Up Grilled Cheese”
Grilled cheese is such a wonderful comfort food! A favorite in our family as well!