This weekend was tough and not at all as productive as I had hoped. I have been behind on blog content and fully intended to get caught up this weekend but that just didn’t happen. Lately I have been fulling a little bit burnt out. Not because I no longer enjoy blogging but because I think I have stretched myself a little too thin lately and just can’t keep up.
I sat at my computer for several hours this weekend desperately trying to figure something to write for today’s post. I think I went through about 8 or 9 drafts before I realized that I just need a break. Even the things we love and enjoy can become too much at times and it is perfectly ok to step back and take a little time off.
Even though this isn’t going to be a significant or even well written post I still wanted to share these thoughts because it took me longer than it should have to realize that I was feeling overwhelmed and a break would do me some good. So after stepping away for a bit I knew that I wanted to share this experience.
When you start to feel burnt out, overwhelmed or can’t find joy in what you are doing it is okay to take a step back and either re-evaluate the situation or just take some time to clear your mind and refresh your outlook/approach. Commit to taking a break whether that means a few minutes, a few hours or even a few days. Switching up your routine and giving yourself time to relax, unwind and refresh can be so helpful.
I was feeling so overwhelmed today that I couldn’t even getting through shooting blog content. I know I could have pushed through (and sometimes that is necessary and worth it), but today I knew it was better to take some time off. When I start feeling this way there are a few things I like to do to take a break and help calm myself down:
- Get Some Fresh Air: Getting outside always helps calm me down. Whether it is for a walk/run or just to breathe in a little fresh air I always feel better after getting outside.
- Meditate: Using Headspace to meditate has made such a huge difference for me (you can read about my experience with the app here). While I normally use it to meditate before bed I often do a mini session mid-day when I feel stressed or overwhelmed.
- Read: Picking up a book and escaping to another world is a great way to get my mind off of what is currently stressing me out. Reading is a great way to disconnect and unwind.
- Exercise: For me, running is a great way for me to calm myself down and clear my head. Any form of exercise can be a great way to get out any anger or built up frustration.
- Talk/Write it Out: I will admit that I don’t do this one as often as I should but it almost always helps when I do. Talking to a friend/relative can be a great way to address what is bothering you and ask for help/perspective. Journaling can also be super helpful at times if you don’t quite feel like talking about it.
What are some things you do when you are feeling overwhelmed or need a break?