The other day one of my coworkers who is new to this winter weather asked me how I keep my hair so healthy. I’m not really a beauty and make up person and to be honest I have a pretty simple morning routine while getting ready. However, during cold and dry winter months I tend to spend a little extra time on my hair.
Winter weather can be brutal on hair. My friends are all complaining about static-y, dry, and brittle hair. Luckily I haven’t suffered from the extreme winter conditions yet. I’m not claiming to have great hair-trust me I still struggle with frizz and fly-aways daily- but I do have a routine that helps keep my hair relatively free from winter damage.
- Moisturizing product: I use shampoo and conditioner that are specific for dry hair or for moisturizing. A few brands that I like are Garnier, Tresemme, & OGX.
- Leave in conditioner: After getting out of the shower I comb at my hair and run a dollop of leave-in-conditioner through it while still wet. If my hair is particularly unruly that day I will also use a tiny bit more after my hair has been dried. (I use this).
- Heat spray: Before blow-drying, straightening, or curling my hair I spray liberally with a protective heat spray. (I use this).
- Anti-frizz serum: I don’t use a serum every day but again if my hair is being very unruly I will run a tiny amount through my hair after styling. (I use this).
- Skip styling: Try not to blow dry, straighten or curl your hair everyday. Give it a rest from the heat and styling. I know some hair is just too unruly (like mine) to do this but if you are going to be home all day take it easy and skip the heat!
- Dry shampoo: I have several thicker haired friends who are able to wash their hair every other day. I however have thin, oily hair so washing it everyday is a must for me. If you are able, wash your hair every other day and use a dry shampoo instead.
- Don’t sleep on wet hair: If you shower at night make sure your hair is dry before going to bed. Sleeping on wet hair will cause damage and break it. (Also try to avoid sleeping in pony tails and buns as it can have the same affect).
**This post contains affiliate links. This blog is not associated with the brands and companies featured in the links ad/or image display.
One thought on “Winter Hair Care”
I love garnier products!! I usually let me hair air dry naturally in the mornings, which is nice to not have to fuss with it so much!